The Phil-LiDAR 1.2.14 Project Team conducted an out-of-town workshop last May 5-6, 2014 at Villa Paraiso Resort in Mambajao, Camiguin province. The workshop was primarily aimed to review the project’s Year 1 workplan, to discuss the current accomplishments, and to finalize the project activities for the June to October 2014 period.
Our accomplishments so far
Since the start of its implementation in April 2014, the project has been able to accomplish a number of administrative-related and technical activities. Among the admin-related activities that have been accomplished are personnel recruitment and the preparation of all documents necessary for procurement of project equipment, software, office supplies and furniture. The procurement of project equipment has already passed the required pre-bidding procedures; the opening of bids has been scheduled on June 16.
In terms of technical-related activities, the project has accomplished the following:
- validation and confirmation of river systems within Caraga Region that have been assigned to the project
- listing of river systems for Year 1 and Year 2-3 implementation, with the Cabadbaran, Mainit-Tubay-Asiga, and Tago River Systems as priority areas for Year 1
- delineation of upstream watersheds and floodplains in the Year 1 and Year 2-3 project areas
- delineation of areas-of-interests (AOIs) for LiDAR data acquisition, and its submission to the UP DREAM LiDAR team for flight planning and actual acquisition
- download of medium and high resolution satellite images of the Year 1 project areas from various sources
- derivation of land-cover and parameter maps of the Year 1 project areas
- automated compilation of archived and current hydrological data (rainfall, water level)
Activities for June – October 2014
During the workshop, project activities for the June – October 2014 period were also reviewed and finalized. Some of these activities slated for implementation are:
- conduct of courtesy meetings with the officials of the municipalities of Agusan del Norte, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur that are covered by the Year 1 project areas (to be conducted in mid-July)
- preparation of field survey plans for LiDAR data validation, hydrographic surveys, and hydrological measurements (to be conducted this month of June)
- conduct of LiDAR data processing and validation (to be started this July 2014 subject to availability of LiDAR data from the UP DREAM LiDAR team)
- conduct of LiDAR data validation, hydrographic surveys, and hydrological measurements (to be started August 2014 subject to availability of equipment)
- development of upstream hydrological models (HEC HMS) and floodplain hydraulic models (HEC RAS) that will consist the flood models of the Year 1 project areas (to be started this July)
The Phil-LiDAR 1.2.14 project is expected to come up with detailed flood hazard maps of the Year 1 project areas at the end of December 2014.